09 November 2008

End of Learning Journey with Babbitt (yet another stepping stone)

Funny that my ears are actually getting accustomed to listening to Babbitt’s music, or other avant-garde compositions for that matter. Why am I surprised? This is simply the result of a small attempt to immerse myself into the world of previously unfamiliar 20thC music for the last 3 months.

Out of all the different domains and aspects of 20thC music we’ve covered, Minimalism still appeals to me the most. (This has always been the case actually.) Somehow I can identify with it without much difficulty and it captures my attention. Don’t know how else to put it. argh. Really wonder if it’s the same for others or is it just my ears? Is it true for most people that in general, Minimalism is more accessible (aurally) than other forms of 20thC music?

Looking back, I’ve realized that I’ve come quite a long way in a short 3-month time frame. Reason being that previously I found 20thC pieces completely unintelligible. Also, I’m ashamed to admit that I was even mocking at such form of “music” and questioning the musical ability of their respective “composers”. (absolutely rude and obnoxious of me.) :-S This was because I was still listening to them through my tonal and biased ears! I just simply need to put on another fresh pair of listening ears.

I must say that I have been humbled by my newfound respect for the 20thC composers. (Well, it’s ‘newfound’ from my perspective – they have always been great and respectable.) Another reason is that I tried my hand at writing a piece of music in the 20thC style (quite vague, I know). And it’s really really difficult/tedious (but rewarding) despite it only being a short 1.5min piece with superficial features. Imagine the massive amount of mind-boggling compositional decisions that Babbitt had to grapple with. Respect.

So, yep.. I’m sure Babbitt would be pleased with my learning-journey. :-)


“.. in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.”

No comments: