10 October 2008

"Listening to Babbitt" by J. Straus

Just browsed through the first few pages of Straus' article on Listening to Babbitt. :) It seems great. What a refreshing perspective - he takes a listener-oriented approach. This is as opposed to the few other articles I’ve seen that gives micro-detailed analyses of how musical notes are structured in a piece. I'm sure this reading would be useful and would yield interesting insights.

Careless of me to have put aside this article all these while and instead pore over complicated impossible-to-comprehend analyses of Babbitt's music. **Perhaps my focus should be more on what I 'hear' instead of all the detailed analyses which I feel are slightly beyond me. Then again, not sure if I'm doing justice to Babbitt if I take this superficial approach..

1 comment:

*jean* said...

Hi Joyce, I just wanted to ask a question. Do some of Babbit's works have programatic titles? Or do they just have neutral-sounding titles?